I painfully have to report that on the 28th of November, I lost my lifelong companion and service dog Voltaire; very suddenly to cancer.
Voltaire was only 5 years old.
Voltaire was not only a fully trained Psychiatric Service Dog, but also my rock through all the hard times. I would be lying if I said I was ok.
At 5am Thursday (28th) morning I noticed the door to my room was open. Only Voltaire can open doors/turn doorknobs. So I got up and wondered where he was. I called to him and heard him get up off the floor of the bathroom, he -never- sleeps in there. He slowly walked into my room and laid down. Upon doing so he started to sway like he was going to tip over! I check his gums and they were so pale they were almost white. I threw on my coat, woke up my mother and we rushed him to the emergency vet on Bridge st.
Voltaire was bleeding internally.
He was very pale and lethargic because his blood pressure was very low, from losing half of the blood his heart was trying to pump through his body. They took an X-Ray of his abdomen but because of all the blood it was impossible to see anything. He needed an ultrasound and their Radiologist was out of town until Tuesday. They also told me they saw "spots" on his lungs.
Voltaire stayed there for a few hours to get a whole blood transfusion in an attempt to get him stable and get his blood pressure up. When I called back at 11am he had taken to the transfusion just fine but was still losing a lot of blood and still very lethargic. Since their radiologist was out of town I was offered to take him to Cornell, so they might see on an Ultrasound where he was bleeding from. I of course opted to pick him up and drive my heart dog to Ithaca NY, 1 hour away.
Once we got to Cornell the viewed the nodules on his lungs again and determined it was cancer that has spread there from wherever he was now bleeding from in his body. They explained that even if they operated to remove whatever tumor they could, nothing could be done about the cancer having spread to his lungs and that he had a few days to maybe 3 weeks to live, which could even have been spent in recovery in a cage at Cornell.
I would never do that to my baby so we made the decision to humanely euthanize him there at around 4pm.